Understanding your hip fracture injury is important. Let us try to help explain some of this to you.
Complex Fracture and Dr. Pranav Shah offers the best hip fracture doctors and surgeons in Ahmedabad. The team performs for patients across Rajasthan, Maharasthra and Gujarat amongst other states in India.
On behalf of Dr. Pranav Shah and the orthopaedic team we hope to serve and offer you the best treatment to you soon!
1. Introduction of Region:
The Hip is a ball and socket joint. The ball is formed by the head (upper end) of the thigh bone (femur).A hip fracture is a break in the upper quarter of the femur (thigh) bone. The extent of the break depends on the forces that are involved and the quality (strength) of the injured bone. The type of surgery used to treat a hip fracture is primarily based on the fracture pattern and the age/functional abilities of the patient.
2. Causes of Fracture:
Hip fractures most commonly occur from a fall or from a direct blow to the side of the hip. Some medical conditions such as osteoporosis, cancer, or stress injuries can weaken the bone and make the hip more susceptible to breaking. In severe cases, it is possible for the hip to break with the patient merely standing on the leg and twisting.Potential causes of broken hips include:
- falls to a hard surface or from a great height
- blunt trauma to the hip, such as from a car crash
- Diseases such as osteoporosis, which is a condition that causes a loss of bone tissue and the bone breaks with minor trauma.
- obesity, which leads to too much pressure on the hip bones
3. Do I Require Surgery? :
Surgery is usually the only treatment option for hip fractures. Someone with a hip fracture should have surgery on the day they’re admitted to hospital or the day after being admitted. In about half of all cases, a partial or complete hip replacement is needed. The rest require surgery to fix the fracture with plates and screws or rods/nails. If left untreated, a hip fracture may result in complications like bad source, deep vein thrombosis, lung infection, urine infection- all these are life threatening.
4. What are the Benefits of Surgery? :
Benefits of surgery includes mainly,
- Relief of pain
- Fracture realigned to normal shape
- Early retuned of function
- Prevent complications like persistent pain, limping, difficulty in standing walking and sitting etc.
5. What is the recovery process? :
The aim after surgery is to speed up recovery to help regain your mobility.The day after surgery, you should have a physiotherapy assessment and be given a rehabilitation programme that includes realistic goals for you to achieve during your recovery. The aim is to help you regain your mobility and independence so that you can return home as soon as possible.How long you’ll need to stay in hospital will depend on your condition and mobility. After having a hip replacement, it may be possible for you to be discharged in three to five days.
6. What are the risks in the Surgery? :
Complications that can occur after a hip operation include:
- infection– occurs in about 1-3% of cases
- blood clots – can form in the deep veins of the leg (deep vein thrombosis); they can be prevented using compression stockings, exercise and medication
- Problem with fracture healing like nonunion, mal union and implant loosening.
- pressure ulcers – can develop on an area of skin that’s under constant pressure due to being in a chair or bed for long periods
7. Does Age Affect Recovery? :
Yes, younger patient recover faster. In older patient where recovery may be prolonged or doubtful, hip replacement surgery is done early return of function.
AMOGST THE BEST ORTHOPEDIC SURGEONS IN INDIA
Dr. Pranav A. Shah is working currently as the Director of Orthopedic Trauma and Hip surgeries at CIMS hospital a JCI approved tertiary care well reputed corporate hospital in Ahmedabad. He was practicing earlier as a Senior Orthopedic Trauma Consultant Surgeon at Shalby Hospital, Ahmedabad from 2007 to 2017. Dr. Pranav Shah is a celebrated name as an eminent Orthopedic Surgeon who is highly recommended and referred to, because of his excellent skills and results even in most complex cases.